Throat disorders (laryngology) can be very common and can be quite uncomfortable. If you or a loved one suffer from any throat disorders, we can help! At CNY Medical Professionals, our team has the ability to thoroughly evaluate your throat problem and create a treatment plan that is specific to you.
Common conditions affecting the throat:
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) – a condition in which the stomach contents leak backwards from the stomach into the esophagus (the tube from the mouth to the stomach)
- Hoarseness – can be caused by many of the same conditions that cause sore throats, particularly smoking.
- Laryngitis – an inflammation of the voice box, or larynx, that causes your voice to become raspy or hoarse. Laryngitis can be short-term or long-lasting (chronic).
- Lump in the neck or thyroid
- Recurring sore throat – can be caused by viral or bacterial infections, irritants such as smoke or air pollution and injuries.
- Swallowing Disorders (Dysphagia) – usually caused by a blockage in the throat or esophagus, or a problem with the muscles and nerves.
- Throat cancer – cancerous tumors that develop in your throat (pharynx), voice box (larynx) or tonsils are all variations of throat cancer, the primary cause of which is smoking.
- Tonsil and adenoid infections (most common in children)
Common surgeries for throat disorders, which we can perform in our surgery center, include: